Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ways to keep your New Years Resolutions Alive

If you are anything like me, you are super proactive about making a New Years Resolutions list. I even make a game of it at New Years Eve parties (Guess Whose Resolution). I tend to be creative, thoughtful, and reflective when making my resolutions. So, now that I have tooted my own horn, I have the reality of it all for you- I last one month! One month IF THAT! By the end of January I have stopped doing the things on my list and pretty much forgotten them as well. By the end of January I have stopped:

1. Working Out

2. Remaining calm in all situations

3. Becoming a better person

And so on and so forth. 

By the end of January I have long forgotten the list I put so much time and thought into. 

So, how do we keep our New Years Resolutions alive? 

This is a good question! This year, when putting my list together, I have made resolutions and goals like always, but I have also put some thought into how to keep these going through the whole year. How to keep it going even when the hype dies off and the excitement is no longer. 

Here are a few ways I have come up with to help keep your resolutions going through the whole year:

1. Make resolutions and goals that are actually achievable. 
When making resolutions, make sure they are things that you can actually accomplish once you put your mind to it. It is a little unlikely that you will solve world hunger....just being honest. But you can do things like clean your house more often, spend more time with the kids, lose a certain amount of weight, etc. Keep it realistic and you have a better chance of doing it and making it into a habit or accomplishing it! 

2. Write it down. 
Write down your goals. Make a paper list, and if you are really ambitious- laminate it. I laminate bible verses and put them in the shower so I can read and memorize them while I take a shower, and it totally works for me! So for me, to laminate my list and put it in my shower is probably the best way to get it ingrained in my head. 

3. Check List
Make your resolutions list a check list. Once you have accomplished one thing, check it off and move on to the next resolution. Check lists really help people feel like they are make head-way and getting things done which helps you stick to it and not give up quickly. 

4. Accountability Partner
The biggest resolution of all time is losing weight. So many people have that one their New Years resolution list every single year. For things like losing weight, trying to change different things about yourself, trying to stop habits, etc., why not ask your friend, spouse, family member, or someone you know to hold you accountable and vise versa? Having someone remind you of your goals and resolutions will better help you stick to them.

5. Don't be too hard on yourself. 
Sometimes we are going to stumble and go back to our old habits. That's just life. But don't just quit all together. Tomorrow is a new day. Start over and try again. Even if it's January and you are still trying to do something on your resolution list, it's okay! It's better to do it sometime than never at all. Just keep trying! 

Have a wonderful New Years and have fun making your resolutions list!



No comments:

Post a Comment