Monday, December 30, 2013

Maggie's Artwork Corner

Since we didn't travel anywhere for the Christmas Holiday this year, I have had lots of time to get some projects done around the house.....which makes me one happy momma! The first project I worked on is Maggie's new "Artwork Corner" in her bedroom. We have a little house so I have to utilize every inch of space. 

So here is what I did:



I am not sure if you can tell but those blocks spell out "Maggie's Artwork." It was really easy and really cheap- actually it was totally free for me, but you may have to spend a couple dollars if you don't have all of the supplies. The supplies you will need are 2 pieces of wood cut to the measurements you want, children's letter blocks, super glue or gorilla glue, paint, a paint brush, newspaper to lay down while you paint, clothespins, and Command strips or hooks to put on the back of the wood. 

So here is what you do:

Step 1: I had two pieces of wood laying around that were the perfect length for what I was trying to do. I put some newspaper down and painted them yellow to match the color scheme in Maggie's room. 


Step 2: Add these hooks to the back of the wood so you can hang it on the wall. I didn't have enough for both pieces of wood. So on one piece of wood I actually used the Command Strips and they stick to the wall perfectly! 

Step 3: Gather up blocks that your child isn't using and get the letters you need to make words. In this case I made the words "Maggie's Artwork." I thought about doing "I love Art" but changed my mind. 

Step 4: Clean off an area on your table for you to work. 

Step 5: Use super glue or gorilla glue to glue on the blocks. You will have to do some math so that you measure out exactly where to put the blocks so that it is centered correctly on your wood. (This is me focusing!)

Step 6: Paint the clothespins the color you would like them to be. You can also use scrapbook paper to cover them which is what I did. 

Step 7: Super glue the clothespins to the wood. You can use as many as you would like, but remember you need to put enough space in between each one so there is room for the papers you are clipping to them. 

Step 8: Hang them up! 


Eventually I will get daring enough to put a bucket of crayons and markers on the table with coloring books and paper, but Maggie isn't ready for that yet. I hope you have as much fun as I did doing this project!! 




1 comment:

  1. Very cute! We're working on fixing up our art room in our new house, this is definitely inspiring me. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete